Celebrate Summer: Free Outdoor Yoga In NYC (from Times Square to Rockaway Beach!)
There are very few peeps in this city that are not totally yoga crazy. You see them riding the subway with their trusty mat in tow, running down 5th avenue late for their next session, and lately – heading outside to one of the many fabulous outdoor yoga classes taking place! Practicing yoga outdoors in the fresh air on the grass is how it was meant to be and seeing people getting their yoga on in the park, on rooftops or even down at the beach is not such a strange sight anymore.
The big summer yoga kick-off starts in Times Square. June 21st is Summer Solstice in Times Square. It’s an annual “mind over madness” all day yoga affair: from 7:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. – rain or shine! If you’re up for it, try your hand at finding some peace and tranquility in one of the most hectic places on earth!
WHAT: A yoga event celebrating sun, summer and creativity
WHEN: June 21, 2011. 7:30am-7:30pm (Rain or Shine)
WHERE: Broadway Plazas between 45th and 47th Streets. Check in is at Broadway and 48th Street.
But of course, if there is no time for yoga on the longest day of the year, no worries, we found a bunch of great options for yoga enthusiasts in the city. There are a ton of (free!) programs and sessions taking place all over the city (and beyond!) this summer. All you have to do is grab your mat, a bottle of water, sunglasses and sunscreen and go with the wind!
MORE FREE OUTDOOR YOGA IN NYC
- Union Square’s “Fitness in the Square” at 7 a.m. (in the South plaza)
- Open Oceans Sessions at Rockaway Beach Saturday mornings starting at 11 a.m. ($10 donations go towards various charities)
- Washington Square Park – Tuesdays & Wednesdays at 9 a.m. (check website for varying times and dates)
- Bryant Park – Tuesdays at 10 a.m. in the Upper Terrace and Thursdays at 6 p.m. on The Lawn. Mats provided!
- FREE Lotus in the Park – Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Park is located at 10th Ave between 14th and 15th Street. BYOM