This Holiday Weekend: Sailors, Craft Beer, & Plenty Of Festivals
While many will be starting the summer weekend escapes and heading down the shore or out east, holiday weekends can be a great time to stick around the big city. There is something nice about an emptier town, and enjoying events (many of which are free!) that are happening right here in NYC. We found some fun things to do this weekend from our friends at About.com.
- Memorial Day Weekend Street Fairs — Spending the long weekend in the city? Check out some of the great street fairs and festivals — including the Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit and festivals on the Upper West Side and in Times Square.
- Fleet Week and Memorial Day on the Intrepid — The sailors are in town this week. Check out all of the Fleet Week 2012 events in New York City, including concerts, a movie premiere, ship tours, demonstrations, and a Memorial Day commemoration on the flight deck of the U.S.S. Intrepid.
- Governors Island Family Festival – On Saturday, May 26, take the whole family to Governors Island for a festival featuring live music, clowns, puppets, games, arts and crafts, face painting, and more.
- Governors Island Memorial Day Weekend Brewers PicNYC – On May 26 and 27, go back to Governors Island for a street food and craft beer festival. New York’s favorite food trucks will serve treats and local breweries will provide the beer. Admission is $55 and includes food sampling and beer.
- Memorial Day Weekend Sale at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets — Make a day trip to the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets and take advantage of their annual Memorial Day Weekend sale. You’ll find serious markdowns on brands including Armani, Banana Republic, Jimmy Choo, Nike, and many others.
- Cloisters Family Festival — Enjoy a medieval weekend uptown at the Cloisters Museum. Participate in craft projects, go on an art hunt, tour the museum galleries and garden with the family, and much more.
- Lower East Side Festival of the Arts — The Theater for the New City will present a free weekend of live performances, films, and poetry readings. On Saturday, the party moves outside for a street festival on East 10th Street.
- New York Philharmonic Memorial Day Concert — See conductor Alan Gilbert lead this free concert at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. Seating is first-come, first-served. Music will also be piped out onto the Cathedral’s Pulpit Green, weather permitting.
- American Revolution Walking Tours — Celebrate Memorial Day Weekend with a walking tour of Lower Manhattan’s patriotic history and a trek across the Brooklyn Bridge to discuss the layout of the Battle of Brooklyn, fought in 1776. NYC Discovery Walking Tours will lead the way on both Saturday and Sunday at 3:30 PM and admission is $18 per person. Call 212-465-3331 for reservations and meeting place.
Top Photo: Flickr