Rosie Pope: On Fashion, Diapers, And New Parenthood! (VIDEO)
I had the pleasure of sitting down with Bravo’s ‘Pregnant In Heels’ star, Rosie Pope, and was able to get the scoop on new mommy-hood (amongst other things!). At the time I was 5+ months pregnant myself, and about to bust out of my skinny jeans. That being said, I decided first and foremost to find out some of her mom-to-be wardrobe essentials (after all she is the queen of fab maternity wear – check out her line at www.rosiepope.com or at the Upper East boutique). Aside from talking fashion, she also filled me on what to expect when changing poopy diapers (a surprisingly positive discovery), and how to get daddy-to-be well prepared. Rosie couldn’t have been more lovely, and I am so ecstatic to hear about her latest news– she’s now expecting a little girl!
Yoga While Pregnant: A Must-Do Move To Save Your Abs! (VIDEO)
Although working out can be a tough feat for many pregnant women, we found an easy, yet powerful move that will save your abs! Not only will it strengthen, tone, and help you get your body back post-baby, but it could even help you have an easier labor and delivery. We sat down with Mary Barnes of PURE Yoga to find out the one must do move for the mom-to-be.
Trouble viewing this vide? Click here to view on youtube.com
For more info on Mary Barnes or pre-natal yoga
go to www.pureyoga.com
Bumbleride: Hitting The Streets Of NY City
A San Diego based company’s stroller may seem like an unlikely choice for the NYC mom, but Bumbleride clearly has the bases covered, no matter what the coast. The innovative company strives to make mobility “fun, simple and intuitive”, and while it may be a newbie our city streets, it definitely can hold its own.
The Indie had me at hello with it’s strong frame, alluring lines, and oh so stylish look. Of course, looks can only go so far in this town, and this NYC girl came to find out that Indie was more than just a pretty face.
Outfitted with 12’ air filled tires and a sturdy frame, the Indie really gives the ride of a lifetime (for both baby and mom). It is a super easy push and the smoothest of rides, even over the cracks, crevices, and uneven of sidewalks of my west village neighborhood. The lighter weight frame make getting up a curb or through a double door very doable, and the front swivel wheel and narrower width will get you around some tighter spaces.
Speaking of space, the Indie easy fold makes it a relatively compact store, and well thought out features like the pick up handle make getting it in an out a cab or up a few stairs easy enough. It also is the lightest in it’s class so if by chance you get stuck at a subway station that is elevator free, carrying it up stairs, while a bit of a challenge, is more manageable than most. However, if stairs are a standard in your life (walk up anyone?) or mass transit is your way about town, check out the Bumbleride Flight, Indie’s super lightweight sibling.
For this active mom though, versatility was the main attraction. When taking it off the streets, Indie also performed like a champ. The all terrain tires handled even the bumpiest trails in Central Park, and locking the front wheel made taking baby for a jog along the Hudson a breeze. The Indie Movement Edition also sports a rain resistant material and has SPF 45 built into the expansive canopy, so rain or shine you’re covered.
For more information on Bumbleride head to their website www.bumbleride.com
Mom On The Go? Jessica Alba Has You Covered… Honestly.
Honestly, what can we say about Jessica Alba’s latest venture The Honest Co., which vows to stay green, help protect the environment and keep products safe and risk-free for you and your little one? Well… it sounds like it honestly rocks!
So, we all know and love the beautiful and talented Jessica Alba from her fabulous film career (Valentine’s Day being one of my faves!), but she attributes being a mother (of 2!) as the “most satisfying job in the world”.
Her and co-founder Chris Gavigan, former CEO of Healthy Child Healthy World, after feeling completely frustrated with trying to find the best and safest products for their children and homes and repeatedly coming up short, they decided to be dreamers and ultimately doers themselves. They believe that every child out there deserves the best, so they hope to help parents everywhere and work to provide the safest and non-toxic everyday baby and home necessities, such as diapers, wipes, laundry detergent, lotions, shampoos, soaps and more.
To make things simple and fast for all you busy moms on-the-go out there, The Honest Co. has gone ahead and devised a handy online questionnaire of sorts to help you customize the perfect bundle of products that will fit your needs and conveniently be delivered to your door every month (Could it get any more convenient?).
For all you moms still using diapers daily (And it takes a few years to finally kick that habit, doesn’t it?), the extra cool part about The Honest Co.’s diapers is not only are they naturally biodegradable and plant-based with absolutely no added chemicals, but they also come in a plethora of cute designs and sizes perfect for your precious baby girl or boy.
So, not only does The Honest Co. take into consideration the health and well-being of your family, but it’s looking to be one of the upcoming green and naturally resourced (not to mention that its brought to you proudly from the U.S.) “family brands” that’s better for you and yours from the very beginning.
To see what it’s all about and to get your generous free trial, click here.
Jessica Alba launches Honest.com. (Courtesy Photo: WireImage)
Rosie Pope: On Mommyhood, Celebrity, & Infertility (Video)
“Pregnant in Heels” reality TV star Rosie Pope is a Manhattan Momma’s best friend. The maternity wear designer, who also runs a “Mom Prep” school, is there for pregnant moms as a concierge at their beck and call. Rosie sits down with HealthyStyleNY contributor, Anne Craig, showing her this summer’s hottest trend for your little bundle and talks everything from celebrity pregnancies to coping with fertility challenges for busy city women. Everything is coming up Rosie… take a look.
Is Newly Engaged Vanessa Minnillo Looking To Get Pregnant?
We all heard the buzz a few months back when Vanessa Minnillo and Nick Lachey announced their engagement (finally!). So does newly engaged Vanessa already have babies on the brain? She’s been hitting the media circuit talking about the importance of Folate and Folic Acid, something doctors have always recommended for women who are pregnant or looking to get pregnant. Our Lathem Thomas got the scoop at a recent press luncheon here in NYC. She got Vanessa talking about everything from pre-natal vitamins to her hot Louboutin pumps!
TV personality Vanessa Minnillo unveiled her national education campaign, Girlfriends for Folate, to inform women of childbearing age of the importance of daily folate intake. Her partnership with Bayer and March of Dimes to launch the Girlfriends for Folate or GFF campaign cleverly engages Generation Y women using social media as it’s target platform including Facebook and twitter to help spread the good news about folate for women.
In her NYC press conference Vanessa, who wants to one day become pregnant said, “I’m taking action now by making sure I get the recommended amount of folate in my diet”. I sat down with Vanessa and we talked nail polish, shoes, and prenatal vitamins. She was wearing a fierce Catherine Malandrino number with classic nude Christian Louboutin pumps. She told me that as a recent member of Twitter she answers all of the tweets from her fans and women curious about the wonders of folate.
Folate is a water-soluable B vitamin that naturally occurs in leafy green vegetables, beans, legumes, and enriched grains. It helps to regenerate cells and is important to take before pregnancy and during the early months of pregnancy for neurological development. March of Dimes recommends that all reproductive age women supplement their diet with at least 400mcg of folic acid daily. You can get adequate amounts of folate from the dark leafy greens like kale, chard, collards etc but for those of us who are skipping the salad bar it is especially important to get the folate synthetically as Folic Acid.
Girlfriends for Folate launched March 15th with a national competition to identify the U.S. region with the most “GFFs.” Women can join the GFF movement by registering at www.GirlfriendsforFolate.com. The region with the most GFFs will be recognized nationally during its local March of Dimes March for Babies®, where Vanessa will join other women committed to spreading the word about the importance of daily folate intake. Way to go Girlfriend!
Baby Bumps: Celeb’s Favorite Pregnancy Products
Oh Baby! Fashion Week is almost here, but we already know that the must have celeb accessory for fall is the baby carriage. In the meantime, the bump is the silhouette of the moment and it’s only going to get bigger in months to come. It seems like all of our favorite Celebs are sporting the baby bump. From Mariah and Pink to Zoe and Portman, the list goes on and on! There must be something in that TinselTown or should we say MommyWood water.
Here are 9 of our celebrity influenced pregnancy picks for all of you moms to be (or those single gals looking for yet another baby shower gift)!
1. Baby Blues
Self proclaimed “Maternity Maven” Rachel Zoe praised J Brand’s new maternity jeans calling them “a flawless starting point for a prego-chic look” in The Zoe Report. They have an extra low front rise and high back rise, and soft elastic side panels on each side of the waistband for room to grow each month! Even with a big belly, you can still sport skinny jeans! Or try to stay in your favorite designer denim just a little bit longer and B Buckle them. These little gems have been around for a few years, but they are still in style and will save you some money (for a few months at least). Pink may want to rock Brooke Burke’s favorite “rock star mama” style. Just unbutton your pants, snap the buckle around your belt loops and go mama go!
Angelina Jolie swore by prenatal yoga and yoga to lose her (very little) baby weight. Pick up a Pre-Natal Yoga Deck—with 50 poses and meditations, a healthy workout is in the cards! Here are some pants perfect for practicing pre-natal poses.
Majamas are dubbed “the softest yoga pants”. With an extra wide and super soft waistband – you can wear during and post pregnancy. (if you just want comfy chic-check out Juicy’s maternity pants)
3. No Stretch (Marks)
About those stretch marks… Jolie also reportedly got some help in that department. Bella Mama (appropriately named) Belly Butter provides relief from those itchy marks with natural ingredients. The Bella Mama Belly Oil soothes skin and minimizes marks during and post pregnancy. Supermodelmama Heidi Klum is also a fan.
4. Morning Chicness Bags
No we are not kidding. Please don’t gag. That is really what these disposable morning sickness vomit bags are called. Pack these pretty, compact, leak proof pouches in your purse. Perfect for pukers on the go! Morning Chicness Bags was a sponsor at a pre Golden Globes event and were a huge hit. Mark Wahlberg’s wife, model Rhea Durham said, “I could have used these a long time ago!” Four kids… what’s one more Rhea! Hope some made it into Portman’s purse!
This super shaper has recently sparked some controversy. The goal of the new Power Mama Spanx is to provide lower back support, eliminate panty lines and tone butts and thighs. They even come in full length panty hose.With so many celebrity fans of the original, there’s no doubt we’ll be seeing the Power Mama version (or actually not seeing is the goal) on a red carpet soon!
6. And Thanks
Those baby gifts are going to come rolling in, so have your super chic thank you cards ready. PhiloSophie’s has adorable options that are custom made with love. Good manners begin in the womb!
7. Hospital (Beauty) Call
You’ve heard of house calls… how about hospital call! NYC’s own celebrity hairstylist Angelo David of Angelo David Salon and his team of hair specialists are making hospital calls to make sure new moms feel refreshed before they take their little bundles of joy home. And oh yeah- also make sure moms are ready for their close up! We’ve all seen those in the hospital pictures… The Angelo David Salon New Mom Pamper Package covers everything from hair styling, to make-up apps, to facials, massages, and manis/pedis (those toes are tough to reach!). The also tote champagne and chocolate! Hey mom, you deserve it!
8. Keeping Up Post Pregnancy
Kourtney Kardashian gives credit to the Belly Bandit for helping to get her banging body back. This belly wrap claims tighten your post baby belly. Kourtney even designed her own. Ashlee Simpson and Amy Poehler strapped on the Cinch Tummy Wrap to shrink their stomachs.
Video Spotlight: Bethenny Frankel- From Margaritas To Mommyhood
We all know Bethenny Frankel is as real as they come. Over the years we’ve gotten an inside look at all of her adventures– from launching Skinnygirl to taking on marriage and a baby. Bethenny recently teamed up with pampers to promote their gifts to grow program, and we caught up with her at Oasis Day Spa to get the dish on everything from mommyhood to margaritas!
Pictures With Santa? Mom’s Holiday Quicktip!
So, my husband and I are on the same page with this one- Santa pictures are the best on the first shot!! We took the kiddies to see the big guy on Sunday. Last year, EJ was just relaxing in Santa’s lap, while Millana was in hysterics!!
The line was long, and Millana was super-excited this time around! I recorded her Christmas wish list on her etch-a-sketch as she dictated to me, “Ornaments, new markers, candy canes, princess shoes, books, Santa cookies, oh and Mommy, don’t forget I really want a reindeer!”
Meanwhile, EJ was let loose from the stroller, and Michael chased him around Santa’s workshop. EJ definitely ran into a window or two, but he didn’t even flinch. He’s a tough little boy- our very own Bam Bam!! Nothing shakes him up- usually.
I noticed all of the kids around us, anxiously awaiting their 2 minutes with Santa! It was so cute- I love these moments. But, some parents around us were really stressed out. One woman kept fixing her daughter’s hair over and over again. Baby pulled the headband out, mommy put it back on, baby off, mommy on, baby off, mommy on. It was a headband tug-of-war, which I’m sure on most occasions, the mom would have surrendered to, but THIS IS SANTA PICTURES, and baby will wear the headband- mom was definitely not giving up!
When we finally had our turn to meet Santa, this is what happened:
We laughed as the photographer waived a tiny stuffed toy trying to get EJ to smile and Millana to uncover her eyes. I said, “Don’t worry, just take the picture- it’s adorable!” This is our favorite Santa photo to date, and definitely one we will never let them forget!
Rachel Zoe… Prego? What She Needs To Know!
In case you haven’t noticed, pregnancy is en vogue! So many hip women are gracing the city streets strutting their sleek style and fab baby bumps. Us Weekly just reported that fashion stylist extraordinaire Rachel Zoe is pregnant! Zoe undoubtedly lives a busy life but pregnancy requires us to pump the breaks and take it easy. We’ve all watched Rachel struggle to juggle her personal life and work (work WAY winning out in her world – bananas!), but now that baby is on board she will have to do some serious shifting. Here at Healthy Style NY we want to keep Zoe and all the busy NY mom’s-to-be out there healthy and happy. Here are my top 8 tips to stay healthy, rested, and fabulous while expecting!
8 Great Pregnancy Tips For Busy Mom’s to Be
1. Drink water- Sounds simple enough, yet its so difficult for many of us. We learned back in grammar school that our bodies are composed of 55-60% water. We may carry our water bottles around town, but let’s face it, we’re not drinking enough water. Dehydration is so common and yet most of us have no idea we are lacking the water necessary to perform at peak levels. Since we are mostly composed of water, we need to replace water that is depleted from the body as well as give our body the water it needs to perform metabolic processes. In pregnancy this is especially important! Dehydration can cause uterine contractions, premature labor, low amniotic fluid, over eating, and fierce cravings, among other things. If you’re worried about excess “water weight,” remember you’re likely to retain more water (causing swelling in ankles, feet, hands, and face) when you’re not drinking adequate water. Remember the 8×8 rule- drink eight, 8oz glasses of water daily, (about 1.9 liters). Get yourself a cute little water bottle and keep drinking. For a little flavor add some lemon or lime wedges.
2. Get your greens on!- Eat more salads, cooked leafy greens. Upward reaching leafy veggies are blood builders and cleansing for the liver. Experience your greens in a variety of ways, interesting salads, sauteed, steamed, juiced. Bulk up your fiber intake and have at least two salads daily. Add a variety of toppings to make your salads more substantial; beans, chopped veggies, etc. Greens help to regulate your blood sugar and will likely curb any cravings for sweets. They will also help keep you regular, since pregnancy can cause an increase in constipation due to compression of the middle organs.
3. Keep it moving- Carve out some time in your busy schedule to do some of the things you love to do whether indoors or outdoors, like rollerblading, bike-riding, recreational sports, dancing, walking more, yoga, etc. When you do what you love you’re happiest, its exercise without effort, and an easy way to keep limber during pregnancy.
4. Keep it fresh- I mean two things here: 1. eat the fresh seasonal foods that are available, and 2. introduce new and exciting dishes, and methods of preparation to your culinary repertoire. It gets boring eating the same old thing, prepared the same old way all the time. With the changing season try incorporating some new techniques and recipes that will inspire you to eat healthy and celebrate this new shift and your blooming bump.
5. Don’t Worry, Be Happy- Stress has a terrible effect on the body one of the most noticeable results is excess belly fat! When we are under stress our bodies imagine that we are “under attack” and sends hormones into the blood stream that signal the “fight or flight response”- all blood rushes to your extremities- head, hands, and legs to help you think fast and get out of the potentially threatening situation. If the treat is a deadline, upset clients, fashion crisis- the body doesn’t know the difference. Eating with these looming stressful situations can cause poor digestion, gas, bloating, and unnecessary weight gain- because the body isn’t putting any energy towards digesting and metabolizing your food when you are under stress, so where does it go you ask? It gets stored in your tissues as fat! Let’s let the baby be in charge of the belly expanding, not your worries. Try deep belly breathing exercises to help oxygenate the body and signal a relaxation response, which will counteract the stress hormones. Sit up tall, shut your eyes, shut off your blackberry and take 20 deep, long, slow breaths…and smile.
6. Pack a Mobile Pantry- It can be challenging to eat well when you are constantly on the go. Places that serve healthy lunches and snacks are scarce compared to the plethora of fast food joints and delis out there. One way to set yourself up for success is to pack a mobile pantry. Pack a selection of easily transportable foods that you can munch on throughout the day when you find yourself hungry. Eat every few hours and stay well hydrated. This will help to regulate cravings and help prevent the onset of morning sickness. Pack fruit, nuts, seeds, crackers, cheese, a dip with sliced veggies.
7. Get Fat- A healthy intake of fats like avocado for instance is a great way to get essential fatty acids. Try extra virgin olive oil instead in place of other cooking oils. Essential fatty acids can not be produced by the body and as a result must be obtained from the diet. Omega 3s are beneficial for cardiovascular heath, neurological development, and healthy elastic skin- so if you want to prevent or minimize stretch marks ladies, get down with good fats. You can find them in flax seed oil, borage oil, fish oil, strawberries, broccoli, walnuts, eggs, and acai palmberry. Added bonus- Increasing your intake of Omega 3s will help you burn fat and lower your cholesterol.
8. Get Rest!- So I can’t stress sleep enough. It is important to rest up while you are pregnant. The cardiovascular changes, hormonal changes, busy lifestyle and everything in between require you to rest up beauty. Relax and renew with this comforting pose- get out that plush blanket and set up near the wall, turn on the tunes and tune out the world. This yoga pose helps with exhaustion, and edema. Leg Drain: Bring your hips flush with the wall, lie on your left side, send your right leg up the wall and rolling onto your back, slide the left leg up to meet the right. Your hips can be flush with the wall at 90 degrees or slightly away creating a 45 degree angle with the legs. Close your eyes and relax your shoulders, and breathe deeply. Stay here for a minimum of 5 minutes. If you hang out here for 20 minutes, its equivalent to taking a two hour nap! * You are welcome to practice this pose up until 36 weeks, after that point it is advised not to enter this pose because of the pressure that might be placed on the vena cava*
So to Rachel and all the other fab moms-to-be, take good care of yourselves this pregnancy… and welcome to the club!
HSNY Insider Info: NYC Moms-to-be Pregnancy Comfort Event
Tribeca Parenting is hosting a Pregnancy Comfort Event on Thursday 11/4 6:00-8:00 to celebrate the opening of their new Upper East Side center at 304 E 62nd St (between 1st and 2nd).The event will feature Latham Thomas of Tender Shoots Wellness, Katinka Locascio of Earth and Sky Bodywork, Vera Krijn of Fertility by Choice, Dr. Greg Shure of Madison Square Chiropractic, and Sara Frohlich of Juniper Wellness. These experts will present on the benefits of yoga and nutrition, massage, reflexology, chiropractic care, and acupuncture during pregnancy. They will then be available for individual questions. We will have light snacks, drinks, and gift giveaways, and it should be a lot of fun! For more info click here!
Founder of Tender Shoots Wellness, and mother of a 6 year old, Lathem Thomas hope is to empower women to take charge of their lives by embracing wellbeing, helping them develop an authentic relationship with food, and finding spiritual and physical balance in their lives. She created Tender Shoots in 2005 to provide support to pre/postnatal women along their journey into motherhood because she understand very the particular needs of women during pregnancy. She has developed a comprehensive service that addresses these various needs in a holistic manner. For more info about Lathem, head to Tendershootswelleness.com.